Wednesday 26 November 2008

Gear reviews!

I have decided to jump on the bandwagon and do a review of the gear i use for chasing pike on the fly, however mine is gonna have a different purpose, most tackle reviews are done with top-end gear that would require a fair bit of saving to afford whereas I am going to share my thoughts on some of the better budget gear available and prove that fly fishing for big, nasty predators needn't be particularly expensive yet you can expect some good quality equiptment that will see you through any piking situation.

I have used my current set-up for almost a year and have tamed a few pike with it, although i feel i know the rod and reel inside out im going to fish over the next few days and pay lots of attention to my gear's good and bad points. My fishing gear takes LOTS of abuse and it becomes clear pretty quickly whether something is up to the job or not, whilst i cannot lay claim to be the best or most efficient caster, im confident that i can give a good, relevant review of a piece of kit and how it handles a variety of fishing instances.

Over the next few days i will report back on the following;

Ron Thompson mpx pike fly rod

Okuma SLV 8/9 fly reel

And other assorted bits and bobs that i need to complete the task in hand.

Scott.

1 comment:

All about the grab said...

I know a couple of people with pretty much the same set you have and I know there are a lot more out there that also want to fly-fish for pike and have to work with a tight budget especially now since there is a real pinch in everyone's pockets.
Looking forward to reading it Scott.